Monday, November 26, 2012

Christmas over here

It is Christmas over here!  Just this year, my Mom gave me my Great Grandmother's Santa sleigh because she no longer has a mantel on which to display it.  Because of this, I was actually EXCITED to get the Christmas decorations out this year, which is probably a first for me.  


The reindeer were made in 1956 by Napco, a Japanese ceramics company.  


Mr. and Mrs. Claus are salt and pepper shakers, so we imagine this was a table centerpiece display.  They are also made by Napco, and both they and the reindeer have something called Spaghetti trim.  I guess that is the trim on Santa's hat?


The sleigh is made by Brad Keeler.  He died in 1952, so we know the sleigh dates before then.  Anyway, I am very pleased to have it and I think it looks great on our mantel!  We would have put up the stockings here, but we realized they temptingly dangle at the perfect baby height.  We hung them up downstairs instead.  


We also put up our tree!  Grace really enjoyed watching it go up and "helping" to put the decorations on.  Christmas time is definitely much more fun this year, and I feel less of a scrudge!  Let's not overdo it though, I'm sure I'll be plenty sick of it and exhausted by the time we get to January!

Plus it snowed here for the first time this season today.  It doesn't look like it will stick, which is perfect because I need to drive in it later.  

4 comments:

  1. The sleigh looks great on your new mantle. So glad you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're funny. A borderline "bah, humbug!" right back atcha! :D

    I love the sleigh and deer-- really cool! I recognize that spaghetti trim from some of my mom's decorations, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rebecca....love, love the decorations! Long time no talk....miss you! Would you be up for a cup of tea or glass of wine before the holidays?

    ReplyDelete